Get support in Kirklees

Get Support

Housing advice

Get help with housing from Kirklees City Council

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness and want advice about your housing options please visit Kirklees Council Housing Solutions Service in Huddersfield. To allow enough time for them to discuss your housing options with you, please attend before 4.00pm. 

Dewsbury Customer Service Centre is located in Walsh Building, Town Hall Way, Dewsbury, WF12 8EQ and their contact number is 01484 414933.

For emergency homelessness situations outside of office hours, please call 01484 414933.

Kirklees City Council

No recourse to public funds

Need emergency accommodation but you're not from the UK?

 Unfortunately, some people are not eligible for benefits and are not able to access emergency accommodation. Whilst this makes the situation more difficult, we work with anyone sleeping rough, regardless of their circumstances, so please contact us.   

Get in touch

Hostels providing short-term accommodation in Kirklees

  • Horton Housing Association logo

    Spring Street Hostel

    Provides temporary accommodation for single, homeless men, aged 16 and over. To access emergency accommodation you will need to be referred. This can be done by contacting Kirklees Housing Solutions

    Visit Spring Street Hostel

  • Clare House Hostel 

    Provide supported living accommodation to the homeless. To access emergency accommodation you will need to be referred. This can be done by contacting Kirklees Housing Solutions.

  •  Bridge-it Housing Dewsbury 

    For Single homeless men and women over 18. Accepts self-referrals or referrals from Kirklees Housing Solutions.


Day centres

Get support for a range of different needs at the Huddersfield Mission Cafe

 The Huddersfield Mission provide advice and support to people in need. They also run an affordable cafe and space for community groups and activities.   

The Huddersfield Mission

Free and affordable

Find a place to eat

  There are many places and groups in Kirklees that provide free meals for individuals who are vulnerably housed, homeless or in needs.  

Find a place to eat

Need support for yourself or someone you know?

  Get in touch with us if you need support for yourself or a member of the public.  

Get in touch

Common questions

I've seen someone sleeping rough, what should I do?

If you are aware of someone sleeping rough, please use Street Link to report the location of the individual and provide as much information as possible.     

Does it cost to stay in emergency accommodation?

No. However, there may be a number of reasons why an individual may choose not to access emergency accommodation, but instead seek alternative accommodation in a b&b or hostel for the night.  

What happens when your outreach workers find someone sleeping rough?

Every situation is different but usually when our outreach workers find a person sleeping rough they undertake an assessment with the person and offer them support. We will ask them if they would like help in accessing emergency accommodation. 

However, not everyone wishes to access emergency accommodation and we will work with that individual based on what they wish to do, while providing practical support and information. Working with people one-on-one can take time and we often need to build a trusting relationship, meaning that you might not see a change in the person's situation straight away although support is being offered.